Oakland Church and Cemetery
Built in 1847 of bricks burned in nearby ovens and brought to the site in saddlebags, the church has the original pews of 12” solid chestnut. The balcony was the area where slaves of neighboring landowners worshiped, and doors on either side admitted men and women separately. The church served as a hospital during the Civil War. The cemetery antedates the church and contains the burial spots of 12 Confederate soldiers.
Admission: No admission. (Church is not open to the public, but interior is visible from outside)